The castle-area of Juval/Juval is situated on a prehistoric cult site high above the valley. It was built in 1278 under Hugo von Montalban and became the property of the Lords of Starkenberg in 1368. It was purchased and professionally restored by the Dutch colonist William Rowland in 1913.
Today, Juval Castle
is the summer residence of the mountaineer Reinhold Messner and the base of the Messner Mountain Museum. The extensive Tibetan collection, mountain image gallery and mask collection derived from five continents are all worth seeing. Also part of Juval are the winery and guesthouse "Unterort" as well as the organic farm "Oberortl", whose mission is to preserve and revive this small-scale South Tyrolean cultural landscape. Both places can be reached by two hiking trails
starting from Ciardes.